Follow by email

For more historical tidbits about old Virginia customs and settlers, sign up to receive this free newsletter


Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

Thursday, July 4, 2019

The Town Anamnesis #vagenealogy #virginiapioneersnet

The Town Anamnesis

Genealogy Tips by Jeannette Holland Austin Genealogy Books by Jeannette Holland Austin

Occasionally one can locate an old church record in the countryside. Very few of such records were microfilmed and placed in a library or archives somewhere, however, there is no need to give up the search. Local people residing in or near old farming towns collect some interesting stuff about the old folks. There is usually a "town historian" lurking in the shadows and most everyone seems to know the identity of that person. It is always worth a visit because these historians will remember you later and even send you information! Once, when I was in Holland, Virginia (Suffolk), I introduced myself to a distant relative who worked at the post office. He gave me tons of family information which I later included in the Holland book (now online at Georgia Pioneers). Several years later when I returned and was walking down the street, he yelled "There's Jeannette Austin!" Hearing my named called in the little town made me feel that this little town was also my home. And it is, because my ancestors acquired it through extensive land grants dating from about 1660!   . . . more . . .



Index to Virginia Wills and Estates. See Names

SPECIAL GENEALOGY OPPORTUNITY NOW for yourself and friends! $7 (auto expires after 1-month)
Try it out now to see if you can find your ancestors

Online Genealogy

No comments:

Post a Comment